Friday, August 21, 2015

Why yes, I read YA!


And I am not ashamed!

I love teen reads.  As I was writing Jane, I introduced a teen witch called Jewel that played a minor but important role in that book.  My beta reader, Hans Markus, told me he would love to see Jewel have a greater role. I got thinking about that and decided I would spin off that character into a new series, set in the same world as Jade & Jane.

I like strong female leads that kick butt and take names.  It's one thing that disappoints me sometimes when reading young adult books.  I wanted this series to be different from that.  If any of you have read the YA series Virals by Kathy & Brendan Reichs, the main character in that series, Tory Brennan, is the type of heroine I was aiming for. She is confident and the leader of the pack.  Headstrong and intelligent, she's not afraid to take chances.  If you have not read that series, I highly recommend it.

Norma Jean's School of Witchery was born from that desire.  I was aiming for a Harry Potter style school set in the world of Jade and Jane, but aimed at older teens and adults and with a strong female lead.  There is a good bit of romance in this book, more so than in Jade.  I channeled my inner teen when I wrote it and the result of that was more romance.  There is no explicit sex in Norma Jean's or in any of my books and I would rate it suitable for older teens.

A lot of readers of Norma Jean's School of Witchery go back and read Jade & Jane.  What has surprised me is that not a lot of Jade & Jane readers go ahead with Norma Jean's.  I think it's that #YA label that stops them from giving it a try.  If that's holding you back, you are missing out on a really fun read.  I urge you to give my book a try.

Buy it here:  Amazon Link Norma Jean's School of Witchery

A presidential election. A witch with a target on her back and a magical arrow. A shadowy government agency made up of witches with unusual abilities. A game called Witch Pong. The Mighty Thor?

See how it all comes together in a school you will never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment