Friday, August 21, 2015

Why yes, I read YA!


And I am not ashamed!

I love teen reads.  As I was writing Jane, I introduced a teen witch called Jewel that played a minor but important role in that book.  My beta reader, Hans Markus, told me he would love to see Jewel have a greater role. I got thinking about that and decided I would spin off that character into a new series, set in the same world as Jade & Jane.

I like strong female leads that kick butt and take names but sometimes these young adult characters are full of self doubt and unsure of what they want.  It's one thing that disappoints me sometimes when reading young adult books. I wanted this series to be different from that.  If any of you have read the YA series Virals by Kathy & Brendan Reichs, the main character in that series, Tory Brennan, is the type of heroine I was aiming for. She is confident and the leader of the pack.  Headstrong and intelligent, she's not afraid to take chances.  If you have not read that series, I highly recommend it.

Norma Jean's School of Witchery was born from that desire.  I was aiming for a Harry Potter style school set in the world of Jade and Jane, but aimed at older teens and adults and with a strong female lead.  There is a good bit of romance in this book, more so than in Jade.  I channeled my inner teen when I wrote it and the result of that was more romance.  There is no explicit sex in Norma Jean's or in any of my books and I would rate it suitable for older teens.

A lot of readers of Norma Jean's School of Witchery go back and read Jade, Jane, and Jill.  What has surprised me is that not a lot of the Three J'amigos readers go ahead with Norma Jean's.  I think it's that #YA label that stops them from giving it a try.  If that's holding you back, you are missing out on a really fun read.  I urge you to give my book a try.

Buy it here:  Amazon Link Norma Jean's School of Witchery
Now Free with #KindleUnlimited

A presidential election. A witch with a target on her back and a magical arrow. A shadowy government agency made up of witches with unusual abilities. A game called Witch Pong. The Mighty Thor?

See how it all comes together in a school you will never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment