Monday, March 7, 2016

M.L. Stoughton: Author Interview & Spotlight


Witch Month continues with a spotlight on M.L. Stoughton, author of Pleasantwick, a Young Adult Paranormal Romance.

Blurb:

When her father begins restoring an ancient run-down house, deep in the California woods, Melinda Richards is instantly captivated. Steeped in mystery, the grand old structure, dubbed Sotheby House, boasts a history, and power, that Melinda would never guess. She’s lured back time and again, especially after meeting a handsome stranger in the nearby woods.

Luke Sotheby is in trouble — in more ways than one. Not only is his magical world, Pleasantwick, under attack by dark witches, but his ancestral home, the very portal to that world, has been bought by a commoner. And worse … he’s falling for the commoner’s daughter.

As the magical battle spills over into the common world, the young couple begins to face dangers the likes of which neither has ever known. Lives will be lost, secrets revealed, and if Pleasantwick falls, Melinda and Luke could be separated — forever.

Excerpt:

Melinda turned off the main road and crunched slowly up the driveway to Sotheby House, cringing with each thrown stone and ting on the jeep's metal. I swear to God, this better not ruin my shiny new car!
Her father came out as soon as they drove up. He looked a little too eager and that made Melinda worry.
Who’s this?”
Hi Dad,” she sighed, rolling her eyes as they got out of the car. She handed him the envelope from the key place. “This is my friend, Jason Brewer.”
Hi Jason,” her father said, extending his hand. “Hey, you’re Bill Brewer’s boy.”
Yeah.”
I hired your father for a project a couple of years ago. I remember seeing you there a few times. I liked working with him. He’s a good plumber.” Jason smiled and nodded. “You picked a good one, Mel.”
Dad,” she hissed through clenched teeth. Then she grabbed Jason by the arm and swung him around. “Okay, we're done here.”
Her father chuckled. “Nice to meet you, Jason.”
You too, Mr. Richards,” he answered as she dragged him toward the path.
I’ll have to show you the house later,” she said. And then, her voice loud and sharp, she added, “when it’s not so crowded.”
Melinda’s father smiled. “Don’t get lost out there. Do you want me to come with you?”
Shut up, Dad.”


.....

I got my copy and you can get yours here....


Check out the awesome Book Trailer!!!!


Bio:

M.L. STOUGHTON has been an ice-cream scooper, a wedding DJ, a balloon-toting clown, a travel agent and a dental assistant. Now she adds author to that list. M.L. is married, with two beautiful daughters and a menagerie of pets. She lives in upstate New York, and loves all things paranormal – especially when there’s kissing. Pleasantwick is her first book. Her second novel, a yet-to-be named sequel, is due out in 2016.



Interview:

1. A young adult paranormal book featuring a witch, got to love that. Just like my series! I'm convinced (buying it now). Please tell me what books/authors influenced you growing up?

I liked VC Andrews and Judy Blume. But you’ll be surprised to know that I actually didn’t read much when I was growing up. I was a very slow reader and a lot of times lost interest. When it came to history or text books, I had a real problem with comprehension. So I got it in my head that I didn’t like to read. I didn’t realize until I was probably in my thirties that I’m slightly dyslexic. (I’ve never really admitted that before.) But now I love to read!

2. Great reviews and it looks like there will be a sequel? What are you currently working on?

I’ve been very pleased with the reviews. I’m working on the sequel to Pleasantwick. I hope to have it out by summer. I also have a book in the works that is kind of a ghostly mystery, but that’s been put on hold for a bit.

3. Did you always intend to self-publish or did you try and find an agent or publisher first?

I started querying agents (and a few small presses) in July 2010. Unfortunately, I was an excited newbie and started querying too soon. My manuscript still needed a lot of work. So I continued to learn, edit and revise my manuscript, and send out queries. I had some interest here and there over the next four years, with a few full requests. I even had an editor at a small press interested at one point, but it seemed paranormal romance was “a hard sell at the moment.” In those days there was a stigma associated with self-publishing, so I was adamantly against it. But then the publishing industry started to change. Self-publishing was on the rise. And in August of 2014 I made the decision to go for it. I was confident in my work and devoted to putting out the best product I could. It has been a great experience.

4, What have you learned since you published that you wish you knew when you first started out?

While I knew I’d be in charge of absolutely everything, which included marketing (yuck), I wish I would have understood just how time consuming marketing would be. It’s a constant worry that takes time away from actual writing.

5. Tell us about the community of Pleasantwick. What kind of powers do your witches have?

Pleasantwick is a secret society hidden from the outside world. It was built three hundred years ago, as a place of refuge, by Salem witches who escaped just before the trials. It is a magical place where the people continue to live simpler lives, without technology. The hero, Luke, is an empath who can teleport. There are others with the power of premonition, teleportation, telekinesis, molecukinesis (sure it’s a word). The Elders have elemental magic, and then there are witches who only work with potions and spells.
Pleasantwick was once described as Charmed meets Pleasantville.

6. Tell me three things that might convince a new reader to give your book a try.

1) Pleasantwick is a fun, easy read. I don’t think there’s anything like it out there right now. 2) There’s plenty of action as Melinda (a normal teenager) gets caught in Pleasantwick’s war, which has escaped its borders. 3) There’s also fun and romance as she falls for the swoon worthy Luke Sotheby.

Follow M.L.Stoughton here:




No comments:

Post a Comment