Thursday, March 5, 2015

Who knew chapter titles could be so fun?

I didn't title my chapters with Jade or Jane. I decided to give it a try with Norma Jean's School of Witchery, Book One: Jewel and I loved it. I titled them before I wrote the chapter and found it helped me focus and set the tone for what I was about to write. I discovered I was less likely to go off the reservation and get bogged down with other ideas that used to drive me crazy and require me to completely change my outline.  I will be doing this for all the books in the Norma Jean's series.  Here are some of my favorites with a few comments.

Chapter One: A Dark and Stormy Summer
Snoopy would be proud. It set the humorous tone I wanted as well as helped me concentrate on the introduction to my novel.


Chapter Three: Magic Carpet Ride
I love a good "road trip" and had fun with this in Jane.

Chapter Five: Class Warfare
Many of my chapter titles when taken out of context can have another meaning other than the one intended for the book. Or sometimes even both meanings apply.

Chapter Eight: The Arrow of Time
Here is a good example of the double meaning. Not only does it have one of those science references (Google it if you are interested), both precognition and a real arrow come into play in this chapter. My cat (pen named Katniss) helped me big time with this one.

Which leads to,
Chapter Eleven: This Girl is on Fire
There you go, Katniss.

Chapter Thirteen: Fifty Shades of Green
Wonder where that one came from?

Chapter Sixteen: My Fairy Godmother
In this case we are talking Jill, the Winter Queen of Faerie

Karma is a Witch is another chapter I really enjoyed. Jewel is dealing with an ex boyfriend in that one.

The last chapter is called Beside Still Waters. It is just perfect which echos the ending of the book. To find out why, you are going to have to read the book. Coming in just a couple of weeks now.

If you are a writer and have not done the chapter title thing before, give it a try. You might have as much fun with it as I did and find it helps you with your writing at the same time.






No comments:

Post a Comment