Thursday, July 2, 2015

Why are Jade and Jane not marketed as LGBT?


From a review of Jade: "Oh! And add to it all a nice, not-often-written, not-overly-wrought, pretty much perfectly captured, LGBT romance and you’ve got a keeper in Jade."

That's why.

There are many shockers in Jade. There are a lot of plot twists and a good bit of mystery that is slowly revealed. I drop a lot of clues along the way but you will still have some OMG moments.  I was worried that these spoilers would come out immediately when I started getting reviews. Thankfully, most of these have not yet been made public. One that was revealed almost immediately was the relationship between Jade & Jane. A reviewer said that they were loving the book until about half way through found out about this relationship and just skimmed the rest of the book. That reviewer missed the best parts. 

Jade chases the shifter guy and gets the vamp girl instead. If that is something you don't want to read, please don't. The relationship continues to grow in Jane. I rate it as PG-13. There is no explicit sex in any of my books but there is some romance. The relationship between Jade and Jane is one that is common in our world and if people don't like it then that's their problem, in my opinion.

My publisher asked me if I wanted to add the LGBT tag to Jade and I made the decision not to. I am comfortable with that decision. The romance is not the main focus of the story, it is just a natural part of it. What you get is non-stop action with mystery and humor, with a little romance as well.

Amazon Links
Jade
Jane

4 comments:

  1. At least they told you what their issue was.

    I agree that it doesn't mean you should relabel as LGBT, not least because, from your description, you'll get comments along the lines of "not LGBT enough".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It's a bit of a conundrum. It really shouldn't be that way.

      Delete
  2. OTOH, you'll be missing the market of those who like LGBT but are tired of reading books where that's the main point of the story, and who want something more. A real conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Some say there should be a "warning" label for those that don't want to read a book with this type of relationship. Others say I'm missing out on sales by not listing LGBT as a category/genre on Amazon. I guess this post is to address both of these. It is what it is.

      Delete