Monday, April 13, 2015

Marnie Cate: Author Interview and Spotlight


Remember: Protectors of the Elemental Magic


I remember being a new author and having my first book release.  It would have been great if hundreds of people just happened to stumble upon it and decide to give a new author a try. It would have been nice if I had legions of fans just waiting to get hold of my book.  It doesn't work that way in the real world.  People have to hear about it before they will buy it.  I had a lot of people help me get the word out and it's time that I pay it forward and feature authors I feel deserve the chance. The chance to have people read their work and enjoy it.  There are a lot of good books out there just waiting for that opportunity.

Teaser:
"I never asked for this gift. Nothing good has come from it ... Families are hiding their gift and running away to keep themselves safe. What good has this so called gift been to my family?" 

As the secrets unfold my world has become more complicated. How many secrets can one family keep before they come crumbling down on a person?

My name is Marina Addisyn Stone but Mara is what my friends and family call me. I had always felt that there was something missing and that nothing was permanent. Why would I feel that way? I was being raised with my little sister by my grandmother that loved and doted on me. Then, there was Cole Sands. Who could forget the blue-eyed boy that had stolen my heart. What more could a girl need? I always thought I was just being dramatic and that bad things do happen to people but that is part of life. People die. People go away. Little did I know that with one secret, my life would change forever and my new world would be surrounded by the world of elemental magic.

About Marnie Cate:  Marnie Cate was born and raised in Montana before adventuring to the warmer states of Arizona and California.  Her love of Dame Judi Dench and dreams of caticorns and rainbows inspired her to chase her dreams. One great sentence came to mind and the world of elemental magic and the humans they lived amongst filled her mind. With Remember, the story has begun.


Remember is a Young Adult fantasy/paranormal book, suitable for teens and adults.

Interview:
Q.  I love the mystery in your blurb and I see this is going to be a series. How many do you plan and where do you stand now on writing the second one?

A.  I am just shy of 20,000 words in my second book in the series.  My idea was to have at least five books, but the ideas keep flowing.  The story has so many layers that I need need to be explored.  The second book is going to explain why they Drygens and Silvers have broken alliances. 

Q.  What books inspired you growing up and what made you choose YA/fantasy?

A.  What a difficult question to answer. I was a avid reader as a child.  I would read anything I could put my hands on.  Judy Blume was always a favorite. When my cousin bought Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews from a thrift store, I snuck it and fell in love with the story line and devoured all her books.  A good book should be read many times in my opinion!


Q.   Tell me about your writing process and routine.


A.  My current process for ideas is to talk into my iPhone's Dragon Dictation app and just talk. I had first tried voice memo and retyping, which was tedious.  I can't say I have a master plan for how my book turned out or how book two will end up.  I have broad images.  In Remember, I had so many ideas on how things would turn out to change my entire concept.   My writing routine can be a bit slack due to life but on a good writing day, I get up in the morning before my pay job and head to my local coffee shop.  I work out the words I had dictated while trying to not get too ahead of myself. 


Q. Tell me about your publishing experience. Did you try to find an agent/publisher for your book or did you always want to publish it yourself?


A.  I found out about Smashwords and thought self publishing would be easy.  While getting the book into print and ebook format was challenging at first, I feel like it was a good confidence builder.   With that confidence, I then decided to publish to Kindle and published a print copy through CreateSpace.  My next step is making my book into an audiobook.  Publishing a book is the greatest and most frustrating feeling in the world.  Dreams of just being able to write and not handle any marketing fill my head but the world of indie authors is so welcoming that I would have hated to miss this bit of the journey. 


Q.  It's hard to find readers when you are a new author. Sometimes just getting a reader to take a chance on a new author is very difficult. For those readers who are seeing this now, what would you say to them about your book to get them to take that chance?

A.  If you like a story with real characters (flawed, insecure, angry and determined), you will enjoy Remember. Mara is learning the secrets her family have kept regarding their gift of magic and the path that is taken to reveal everything has excitement, frustration and tears.  At the heart of my book is a message that we control the world around us and like Mara I struggle to remember that always.  

You can buy Remember at the following links

You can follow Marnie on Social Media

As I was putting this post together for Marnie, I was convinced to buy her book and I look forward to posting a review down the road. I Hope you will take a chance on a new author and do the same.






2 comments:

  1. What kind words, Rose! I can't wait to read your books. I have added both of them to the top of my TBR list.

    ~Marnie Cate

    ReplyDelete